Canada, you need to look deep within yourself.
This is what Natives in Canada deal with daily. Anti-Native racism is so normalized that, while it would be considered impolitic for the Progressive Conservative Party of Manitoba to allow this Braydon fellow to continue being their youth wing president, this is representative of the ugly face of Canadian populism.
Why is this so persistent? Even if it can be easily discounted and dismissed with only a modicum of research?
The legitimization of settlement is through a narrative of conquest and destiny. Without which, the naked land grab and theft that constituted settlement and laws like the Dominion Lands Act could not be so easily justified.
and wherever there is a narrative of conquest and destiny, there has to be noble victors and a vile and inscrutable enemy to pit them against. Losers, fated to succumb to inevitable domination at the hands of indefatigable settlers marching inexorably forward under banners of progress. Losers who have always been cast in shadows and existing outside of linear time, moribund savages described according to essentialisms of primitivity and stubborn resistance to prescribed betterment.
Canada needs its colonial bogeymen, and Canada will always invent new roles for them to play.
Roles like “freeloading indians.”
But in an age where the leaseholder fails to uphold its obligation according to the terms of the lease, one which has made the leaseholder rich beyond its wildest dreams, who is really the freeloader?
oh, and you can let Braydon Maz know just how wrong he is here.
We’ve got a lot of work to do to pry settlers from their cherished racism.
Racism against Natives is so normalized in Canada that, despite having some FAINT memories of learning about Coast Salish peoples in grade 3, by the time I was a young adult these kinds of jokes, and comments about “freeloading, alcoholic Natives” didn’t turn my head. It’s largely thanks to eye-openers on tumblr, rather than any role models in my personal life speaking to me (sadly), that I’ve begun to unpack that part of my privileged white upbringing.
Many elements of education fail Canadian students — French education, for one, and DEFINITELY education about first peoples.
That being said, the education system in many provinces are great reformed to cater to aboriginal students.
It is mandatory in saskatchewan to teach treaty education and it is built into each grade.
LIP (Learning improvement plans) are built specifically for aboriginal students. Teachers can teach it, but when students are transient it is the student who suffers.
Yes, the majority of teachers are white, but we’re doing the best we can with the resources we have.Source: ayiman
- boolglunk reblogged this from fralusans-ana-marein
- infjconfessions likes this
- maryxula likes this
- ongakuken95 reblogged this from ajninakool
- ajninakool reblogged this from sociallyuncomfortable
- unknownpleasures1919 reblogged this from the-goddamazon
- crankydinosaur likes this
- acommunistsloth reblogged this from commiekinkshamer
- edgaregbert likes this
- edgaregbert reblogged this from oathkeepers-in-oblivion
- hazuki-nagisa420 reblogged this from oathkeepers-in-oblivion
- candycornmusicbox likes this
- draconicjanus reblogged this from ryukomatoi
- iyedes likes this
- oathkeepers-in-oblivion reblogged this from ryukomatoi
- momemecha likes this
- seventh-evil-ex likes this
- seventh-evil-ex reblogged this from totescrepe
- ryukomatoi reblogged this from totescrepe
- ryukomatoi likes this
- totescrepe reblogged this from calibornsmainsqueeze
- timetravelsuckerpunch reblogged this from detrea
- tommyistoofastforthisshit reblogged this from notablipintime
- prinxesvlynn reblogged this from shutthefuckuptransfundies
- prinxesvlynn likes this
- notablipintime reblogged this from space-queer
- space-queer reblogged this from rowenaboat
- rowenaboat reblogged this from shorm
- doseoflovely reblogged this from lilrana
- romanadistratta likes this
- gamgeeification reblogged this from heroineofthestars
- notjusttheinternet likes this
- slowevenings reblogged this from shorm
- thesisterprim likes this
- ghostofqueernessyettocome reblogged this from detrea
- xoccupysesamestreet likes this
- themotherofzeus reblogged this from detrea
- themotherofzeus likes this
- bruce-waynin-on-all-yall likes this
- olivia--marie reblogged this from sinidentidades
- detrea reblogged this from sinidentidades
- detrea likes this
- nelltrancy reblogged this from calibornsmainsqueeze
- blancoooo likes this
- mada-bug likes this
- quasi-normalcy reblogged this from anatomical-anomaly
- aplethoraofwords reblogged this from shorm
- pawneean likes this
- drarryiscanon21 reblogged this from drunkenfeminista