Canada, you need to look deep within yourself.
This is what Natives in Canada deal with daily. Anti-Native racism is so normalized that, while it would be considered impolitic for the Progressive Conservative Party of Manitoba to allow this Braydon fellow to continue being their youth wing president, this is representative of the ugly face of Canadian populism.
Why is this so persistent? Even if it can be easily discounted and dismissed with only a modicum of research?
The legitimization of settlement is through a narrative of conquest and destiny. Without which, the naked land grab and theft that constituted settlement and laws like the Dominion Lands Act could not be so easily justified.
and wherever there is a narrative of conquest and destiny, there has to be noble victors and a vile and inscrutable enemy to pit them against. Losers, fated to succumb to inevitable domination at the hands of indefatigable settlers marching inexorably forward under banners of progress. Losers who have always been cast in shadows and existing outside of linear time, moribund savages described according to essentialisms of primitivity and stubborn resistance to prescribed betterment.
Canada needs its colonial bogeymen, and Canada will always invent new roles for them to play.
Roles like “freeloading indians.”
But in an age where the leaseholder fails to uphold its obligation according to the terms of the lease, one which has made the leaseholder rich beyond its wildest dreams, who is really the freeloader?
oh, and you can let Braydon Maz know just how wrong he is here.
We’ve got a lot of work to do to pry settlers from their cherished racism.
Racism against Natives is so normalized in Canada that, despite having some FAINT memories of learning about Coast Salish peoples in grade 3, by the time I was a young adult these kinds of jokes, and comments about “freeloading, alcoholic Natives” didn’t turn my head. It’s largely thanks to eye-openers on tumblr, rather than any role models in my personal life speaking to me (sadly), that I’ve begun to unpack that part of my privileged white upbringing.
Many elements of education fail Canadian students — French education, for one, and DEFINITELY education about first peoples.
That being said, the education system in many provinces are great reformed to cater to aboriginal students.
It is mandatory in saskatchewan to teach treaty education and it is built into each grade.
LIP (Learning improvement plans) are built specifically for aboriginal students. Teachers can teach it, but when students are transient it is the student who suffers.
Yes, the majority of teachers are white, but we’re doing the best we can with the resources we have.Source: ayiman
- sinidentidades likes this
- oxymoralis reblogged this from youbestnotmiss
- brainspew reblogged this from dutchbag
- drzank likes this
- antipodian likes this
- twerkin-for-liberation reblogged this from stonerpony
- lalondenessmonster reblogged this from gamingtimeladyfromgallifrey
- cityskylineatyourfingertips reblogged this from handaxe
- thedevilhavingfun reblogged this from koknbawlz
- koknbawlz reblogged this from musici
- hailtothehammer likes this
- puppygender likes this
- stonerpony reblogged this from zabimaruke and added:
- zabimaruke reblogged this from chaotic-awesome
- chaotic-awesome reblogged this from dutchbag
- tinypancakegirl likes this
- dutchbag reblogged this from myjourneymythoughts
- ilovealistair reblogged this from scottsredhoodie
- manna-di-san-nicola likes this
- tbearlupin likes this
- snakegrl1306 reblogged this from scottsredhoodie
- technicolorrelays reblogged this from crossedwires
- the-nomadic-writer likes this
- thisiszen reblogged this from lechet
- yukirose likes this
- aguhon reblogged this from parisian-skies
- caong likes this
- thescarletpanda likes this
- sprinklesobourbon reblogged this from fyuzhn
- sprinklesobourbon likes this
- lechet reblogged this from fyuzhn
- fyuzhn reblogged this from youbestnotmiss
- fyuzhn likes this
- szarjekyllunhinged reblogged this from youbestnotmiss
- elledeparis reblogged this from parisian-skies
- thatsexypotato reblogged this from youbestnotmiss
- 2112tryptophanbonfires reblogged this from therfbort
- youbestnotmiss reblogged this from parisian-skies
- musici reblogged this from bbbeecky
- bbbeecky reblogged this from yrmomschesthair
- shake-downstreet reblogged this from yrmomschesthair
- shake-downstreet likes this
- princesscface reblogged this from comeonkid
- averyhoppybun likes this
- johnnyniles likes this
- surpriseofmoderntimes likes this
- disabledbyculture likes this
- underreacting reblogged this from thatlittlefreakfromlotr
- autie-baeddel-cat reblogged this from petticoatruler
- thatlittlefreakfromlotr reblogged this from the-real-goddamazon and added: